I'm a Mum of two boys living in Oxfordshire, enjoying lots of fun activities and writing about them when I get a chance.
Code, Build, Create & Game
What will kids get up to this summer?
The summer holidays are fast approaching and now is the time to get thinking of what to do with the kids during the holidays. FunTech have a range of technology based camps in Richmond, Maidenhead and Oxford.
FunTech was founded in 1996 by Sheineez and Philip Barber and they have been featured on both Channel 4 and the BBC. They have a straightforward mission "creating a fun learning environment that allows every child to develop their confidence and sense of achievement".
Code, Build, Create or Game
The various camps run over six weeks from week commencing 15th July to week commencing 19th August. The camp fees vary depending on the course from Fun Typer which is a one day course at £135 to the new Minecraft Mods at £459. The Richmond camps are held at King's House School on Kings Road in Richmond. The Oxford camps are held at the Oxford High School on Belbroughton Road and FunTech have their own facilities at 1a The Colonnade, High Street in Maidenhead.
The weekly classes run Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm but they also have extended hours with an 8am drop off and 6pm pick up which should allow you to get to work in time. The staff are CRB check and first aid trained and they accept childcare vouchers too.
There are nine different tech camps to choose from and they run on different weeks so if you have a particular one your kids are interested in then check out the FunTech website.
1. Lego NXT There are five missions for budding robot programmers. Starting with some initial training on coding, motors and sensors, kids will then move on to building their own bot. Challenges and competitions between robots will take place accumulating in a finale mega challenge through an obstacle course.
2. Animation Over the five days, children will learn to create their own animations rather than sitting in front of the TV. Parents are invited to watch the finished movies on the final Friday at 4:40pm.
3. Minecraft Secrets This is a new tech camp for Summer 2013. Building on the basics of Minecraft, teens will be able to re-texture their characters with their own unique designs and develop their team skills as they go into battle on the final day.
4. 3D Game Design Limited only by their imagination, any avid gamers will love creating their own FPS game.
5. Java Coder Starting with the basics, teens will soon advance through to being able to create their own Minecraft Mods.
6. Minecraft Mods Calling all modders, this is the chance to bring entities to life using AI and be able to put them online.
7. Rig and Render
Create creatures digitally and bring them to life then apply lots of amazing special effects.
Plan, Code, Compile and Play at the GamePro tech camp. By day 5 teens will have created their own game and parents can come and enjoy the online experience on the Friday.
9. funTYPER Intensive
A one day course which is also recommended for kids with Dyslexia or Dyspraxia. It's a fun way for kids to learn to touch type which is a valuable skill to use throughout life. This course has been fully booked every summer for the past five years.