The acclaimed Neil Cowley Trio return to Birmingham's CBSO Centre on Saturday 4 March 2017 as part of their Spacebound Apes tour.
Spacebound Apes is an ambitious cross-platform project that includes an album, book, illustrations, and blog/ website that tell an epic story inspired by Arthur C Clarke's early work and Stanley Kubrick's cinematic masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Here are some nice facts about the Neil Cowley Trio
1. Neil once had a part in legendary BBC kids drama Grange Hill.
2. Before branching out as a solo artist, Neil was in acid jazz heroes Brand New Heavies.
3. He was played keyboards for chill out combo Zero 7.
4. The instrumental Neil Cowley Trio's first album, Displaced, was released in 2006 and won the Best Album gong in the BBC Jazz Awards.
5. Neil played on Adele's 19 and 21, initially replacing her own keyboard player who didn't want to leave his day job at the time. (Bet they're kicking themselves now!)
6. Cowley's His Nibs, from the Loud Louder Stop album, was used on a Guinness advert.
7. Neil doesn't like being described as a 'jazz' artist as he believes it's too restrictive. "I think what we do needs a new word," he says.
8. Spacebound Ape's illustrations were by Spanish artist Sergio Sandoval whose work includes comics for DC (Batman, Arrow) and hit movies Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy.
9. Neil Cowley Trio bass player Rex Horan has played with Laura Marling and Ben Watt, and co-created touring theatre show Billy The Kid: His Life in Music, a cowboy musical fantasy.