17 Gough Square, known as Dr. Johnson's House, was rented by Samuel Johnson while he worked on his famous dictionary, published in 1755. The house has been restored to its appearance during Johnson's residence, including his elaborate security system against thieves and the long high table in the garret at which Johnson and his six amanuenses worked, standing, on the dictionary for nearly nine years. The house also features many prints and portraits as well as exhibits on Johnson's life and work.
The house was nearly destroyed during the Blitz when a bomb exploded almost directly on the house. It was saved by the Auxiliary Fire Service and afterward restored once again. The garret now also features an exhibit about the house's near-destruction.
Gough Square is located just north of Fleet Street. The alley that leads to it is marked with a sign reading 'To Johnson's House'. Enter the house through the side door on the left, through the bookshop. The front door is no longer used.